Password sentence guidelines
Users are responsible for remembering their password sentences(passwords) and for protecting them against disclosure to unauthorized persons.
Your new password sentence must meet the following requirements:
- Password sentence is case sensitive.
- Must be at least 16 characters long.
- Must not include part of your name or user name.
- Must not include a common word or commonly used sequence of characters.
- Must have at least 3 types of the following characters:
- Uppercase (A-Z)
- Lowercase (a-z)
- Number (0-9)
- Symbol (!, #, $, etc.)
- Other language characters not listed above
- New password sentence may not have been used previously.
Do not use the same password sentence for other systems!
Dictonary and cyclic tests are run against passwords sentences.
Q: How do I create a proper password sentence?
Do NOT use any of the following in a password sentence:
- Anyone's name
- A location
- A phone number
- A Social Security number
- An Address
- A license plate number
- Anyone's Birthday
- A place
- Passwords of all the same character
- Simple patterns of letters on the keyboard
- Any common phrase in the Finnish language
- Any common phrase in the English language
- Any common phrase in a foreign language
- Reverse spelling (gnilleps esrever)
- Look out for smileys ... :-)
Characteristics of a Good Password sentence:
- uSE BoTh Upper and Lower Case Characters (and)
- Use digits and punctuation characters (not just at the end)
- Are easy to remember (don't write them down)
- Can be typed quickly (look out for shoulder browsers)
Use acronyms that are unique to you -- example:
the Little Cow jumped over 7 moons in the year 1985 - thLiCojuov7moInthYe1985
(Please do *not* use "thLiCojuov7moInthYe1985" or password sentence above - create your own!)
Be careful with special characters. They are keyboard dependent and some characters may have special meaning in some systems.
Mobile App Authentication
We strongly recommend you to install an OTP app to your smartphone or tablet. With the OTP app you can reset your password sentence in case you forgot it. Install the OTP app at https://id.lut.fi/sspr/private/setup-otp?locale=en. You'll need your current password sentence to install it.
More information about OTP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_password